When it comes to on-demand water heaters, you should choose tankless water heaters. Gone are those days when the traditional ‘old school’ water heating system was used. A tankless water heater does not require a tank, and it will supply hot water whenever the need arises.
With the increasing popularity of tankless water heaters, you can expect to have a wide variety of options in the market today. You could get confused when trying to choose the best tankless water heater with the numerous options available.
This review has done the heavy lifting with the 5 best products you should look out for.
Top 5 Best Tankless Water Heaters
1. Rheem RTG-64DVLN Tankless Natural Gas Water Heater
The list of the best tankless water heater will not be complete without mentioning the Rheem RTG-64DVLN tankless water heater. It works best for small homes with either one or two showers.
Features Of Rheem RTG-64DVLN Tankless Natural Gas Water Heater
• Advanced burner technology: This tankless water heater uses a unique heating system that delivers hot water in seconds. The flow rate is about 6.8 GPM when the incoming water is 35 degrees Fahrenheit and 5.3 GPM when the temperature drops to 45 degrees Fahrenheit.
• Remote temperature control: It allows you to control the temperature of the heater at the press of a button within a 10 feet distance. If you are in the kitchen, for instance, you can change the temperature of the water coming from the faucet without leaving there.
• Effective ventilation
• Space-saving design
• Comes with a thermostat wire
• Decreases in performance when the flow rate increases.
2. Stiebel Eltron Tempra Plus 36 Plus
The Stiebel Eltron Tempra Plus is one of the best tankless water heaters you will find with its sleek and compact design. If you live in areas where the temperature during the winter periods falls below 40 degrees Fahrenheit, this is your best choice.
Features Of Stiebel Eltron Tempra Plus
• Advanced flow technology: The Stiebel Eltron Tempra Plus displays an impressive technique that automatically adjusts the flow of water when demand is higher than the heater’s capacity. You can seamlessly enjoy hot water at a constant temperature.
• Digital temperature display: This tankless water heater displays the exact temperature of the water in a digital format. You don’t need to guess the temperature of the water you are using. You can also adjust the temperature between 86 to 140 degrees Fahrenheit.
• Thermostatic temperature control: This feature allows it to regulate its power output to balance the heating needs of the incoming water. It maintains the desired temperature of the water you need.
• Saves energy
• Eliminates noise
• Energy efficient
• Automatic flow rate
• Relatively expensive.
3. Rinnai V series HE tankless hot water heater
Rinnai is an electrical unit that uses gases like natural gas or propane to heat water. It is suitable for both residential and commercial purposes. It is known to be highly efficient and reliable in providing hot water on demand.
Features Of Rinnai V series HE tankless hot water heater
• High water flow rate: Rinnai tankless water heater runs on gas and, as such, offers a flow rate up to 9.4 GPM. This flow rate is one of the most effective types you will find around. It can also vary based on the temperature of the groundwater.
• ThermaCirc360 technology: This technology recirculates hot water in the pipes so that hot water will always be available when you need it. You are also sure of constant water savings with Rinnai.
• Waiting time eliminated: With Rinnai tankless water heater, you no longer need to wait for the faucet to release hot water. Hot water is readily available as much as you need it. You can do any chores you want at any point in time.
• Highly efficient and saves space
• Eliminate water wastage
• Effective ThermaCirc360 technology
• Quick and easy installation
• Easy to use mobile app for remote control
• Relatively expensive
4. Bosch Tronic 3000
The 3000 T by Bosch Tronic is one of the most cost-friendly water heaters you will find in the market. Even though the cost is relatively less, it is highly effective in its functions. This tank will fit perfectly under the sink with a supply of hot water whenever the need arises.
Features Of Bosch Tronic 3000 T 7-Gallon Electric Mini-Tank Water Heater
• Portable build: The Bosch 3000T is by far one of the smallest water tanks you will see in the market. It is a good fit for under the sink cabinet. It will blend well with your interior decor.
• Impressive heat capacity: Though small, the Bosch 3000T has a generous heat capacity. It can heat water to a temperature range of 65 to 145 degrees Fahrenheit. This temperature is reasonable enough for the needs of an average household.
• Point of use installed: With this feature in place, it means that you can just tap directly to your cold water source and mount directly for use. It is so flexible that it is suitable for both indoors and outdoors.
• Very portable and lightweight.
• Highly affordable.
• Glass-lined tank for optimal use.
• Beautiful design.
• Suitable for both outdoor and indoor.
• Not suitable for large homes.
5. EcoSmart ECO 27 Electric Tankless Water Heater
EcoSmart ECO 27 tankless water is known for its self-modulating system that minimizes electricity consumption. It is highly efficient in that it can run two showers at the same time, without any hassle.
Features Of EcoSmart ECO 27 Electric Tankless Water Heater
• Incredible flow rate: This product can deliver as much as 3 gallons of hot water per minute in areas with temperature as low as 37 degrees Fahrenheit. It can provide as much as 6 gallons of hot water in a minute for places with higher temperatures. I know you will say, ‘awesome.’
• Digital temperature control: Its temperature control differs from the rest because you can increase the temperature by 1-degree increment. It allows you to set the temperature more accurately.
• High energy saving
• Excellent quality
• Sleek and stylish design
• Highly durable.
• Seldom bouts of cold water
Tankless Water Heater Buying Guide
Factors To Consider Before Buying A Tankless Water Heater
1. Your budget: No matter how good a tankless water heater may be, your budget will still determine if you can get it or not. The good news is tankless water heaters go for reasonable prices as low as $2,500 and below with installation. Either you are on a low or high budget, there is a specific tankless water heater for you.
2. The volume of usage: The number of people your tankless water heater will serve will determine the type you should get. Get your statistics right before going for one that will suit you. If you are buying for a whole family, then you will go for one that delivers a higher volume within a minute.
3. Size: You need to know the space it can stay in your apartment before setting out to buy your tankless water heater. It allows you to choose the right size that will fit into the available space you have.
4. Energy-saving: If you are more concerned about saving extra cash on your energy bills, then you need to go for the type that saves energy more. Even though tankless water heaters are known for energy saving, some still save more power than others.
FAQs on Best Tankless Water Heater
• What size of a tankless water heater do I need?
Before you install a tankless water heater in your home, check the temperature rise of the incoming water. If the temperature rise is about 60 degrees, check if you can heat at least 5 gallons of water with it. You will get a tankless water heater that can deliver at least 5 gallons of water for a temperature rise of 60 degrees.
• Which is better? Electric or Gas
Records show that electric tankless water heaters are over 98% practical and systematic. Natural gas might be cheaper, but propane is a bit expensive. Generally speaking, the electric tankless water heater is more efficient and affordable.
• In case of a power outage, will a tankless water heater work?
A tankless water heater that uses the gas models does not need electricity for its operation. You need to know that on-demand heaters come with their separate control panel powered by electricity. It will prevent the gas tankless water heater from working in case of a power outage. This control panel helps to generate heat.
• Is it worth getting a tankless water heater?
It is worth it because a tankless water heater helps you to save money by reducing your energy consumption on the typical water heater. It is also built for optimum usage with its diverse capabilities.
• How long do tankless water heaters last?
An average tankless water heater lasts much more than a storage water heater. On average, a tankless water heater has a life expectancy of 17 years when compared to 12 years for a storage water heater. It is also easy to replace the elementary part of a tankless water heater, which can increase its life expectancy.